May 10, 2008

What are your needs?


Ever consider your real needs in life?

God says He will provide all our needs. But, suppose I get real sick? Is that something I need?

Perhaps.

I know at least one man who takes that position.

Our view of life is very different from God's view. He sees our lives as completed already. We've already been placed in His hands, indeed, in His kingdom. We have a presence with God that is very real. Our vision, our perception is too limited, too earth-bound to grasp that vision.

When it comes to knowing what we need, though, we usually err. We simply cannot grasp the concept of something "bad" being good for us. But, consider the Apostle Paul. Read his report about suffering with a "thorn in the flesh," which was something physical that he felt was causing to be less effective in his ministry. Jesus rejected Paul's request for healing and told him, in simple, but profound words: "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

But, Paul suffered far more than that. Would you say that the "needed" the to be beaten? Or robbed? Or to suffer hunger and privation? All these things, and more, he suffered. Eventually, he went to prison and was executed.

Sometimes, we need to be sick. Sometimes, we need to hunger. Sometimes, we need to suffer. Sometimes, we need poverty. Wealth and health are often hindrances to spiritual growth and retard the desire to seek God. For example, if I have a bank account that is pretty good and a home that is secure, and a pantry that is full of groceries; and if I'm in good health, enjoying life to the fullest, how apt am I to fall on my face before God and utter the following words: "Lord, give me today my daily bread?" Or, how probable is it that I'll be on my knees asking God to bless me and give me what I need? Ah, but give me a sickness that draws me nigh unto death, and I'll be like Hezekiah, crying out to God to spare me. Or, let the pantry be bare and let the bank account be empty, with a family sitting at the table hungry, and you'd be more apt to find me on my knees before God.


This is not to suggest that all the pain or grief you have suffered or will suffer in life is a "good" thing. It is to strongly suggest that for a child of God, this verse is still applicable, and God has not abandoned you.

No comments: